Books and cons

Anya’s Ghost has sold through its first printing! Unfortunately that means it’s been hard for people to find, for which I apologize. The good news is the second printing is due this month so Amazon should start sending out copies really soon. The hardcover is being reprinted too. In the meantime I’ve got 19 copies of the softcover that I’m selling signed, for people who can’t make it to shows or need a book NOW NOW NOW. They’re up now in my shop.

In other book news, Anya got its fifth starred review in the School Library Journal, which is awesome. The other four are in BCCB, Booklist, the Horn Book and Kirkus. The critical response has been incredibly positive and I am extremely grateful to everyone who’s taken the time to post a review to their blog or recommended it on twitter. It makes my day every time I hear that somebody read it all in one sitting, or that someone’s daughter stayed up all night reading it. The best, you guys. That is what you are.

San Diego Comic Con is coming up and I’m going to be braving the crowds Friday through Sunday! I’ve got a few signings and things so I thought I’d mention them here:

Friday July 22nd

• 2:00pm signing at the First Second booth #1323

Saturday July 23rd

• 12:30-1:30 Diversity in Young Adult Work Panel room TBA
  • 2:00 -3:00 signing in Autograph Area #AA2
  • 3:00pm signing at First Second booth #1323

Sunday July 24th

• 10:00-11:00 Teen Comics Workshop with Dave Roman, Gene Yang and Thien Pham room TBA

Hope to see you there!

This entry was posted in anya's ghost, book, comics, convention, shop. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Books and cons

1. acidragdoll says:

I loved Anya’s Ghost and I’ve been recommending it to friends. All the good reviews are well deserved. I hope you decide to make another book sometime!

2. Kim says:

I picked it up the other day, it’s an adorable book! I’ve been a fan of your stuff for ages, so just having an entire book full of Verabee art was enough to make it worth it, and the fact that the story’s wonderful is just a bonus. =D

3. Nadine says:

Hi Vera,
    Anya’s ghost is amazing. I would like to know if the rights have been sold to a french editor yet? I am an editor in Montreal and if the rights are still available I will give it a shot! If you would be so kind to let me know. I am very excited about this graphic novel and I hope french readers will be able to enjoy it soon.
    Thank you so much!

• verabee says:

My publisher (First Second) holds the international rights which I suspect includes French language ones.

4. Sally says:

Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy!

5. Gilly says:

when I went to visit my sister at the weekend I took Anya’s Ghost with me intending to leave it behind so my sister could read it. In less that 24 hours my sister and two other people had read it completely and I got to keep it with me when I returned home again.

6. DK says:

I guess your signed copies are all gone?

7. a. nonymus says:

loved anya’s ghost and your work in flight. Shame flight is over and hope to see more of your work.

8. Jackie says:

My school librarian picked up a copy of Anya’s Ghost and I read it immediately. I have been aware of your art for a long time, but I hadn’t realized you published a book! Congratulations on your success, and please don’t stop — you are fantastically talented and as a young artist, I admire you greatly. Best wishes! C:

9. Wow. I just stayed up last night and finished Anya’s Ghost. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for putting so much effort into making this book. Your story telling is very good and unique. I found the story refreshing, the art amazing, and the flow addictive. Your cartooning is strong.
    I found myself (a 24 yr old guy) being drawn into the emotions of and indentifying with this teenage girl and her struggles. The way the characters were so well rounded and expressive really impressed me as an aspiring comic creator myself. Thank you so much for making this book.
    Long story short, I enjoyed it. Thanks!

10. emalinapoli says:

I discovered your book while shelving it ( I work at a library) and I decided to check it out for myself. I stayed up all night reading it and re-reading it until I had every panel practically memorized! I absolutely love it– I love everything about it.

11. Amy says:

My daughter bought your book at her school’s book fair last week and devoured it. And then demanded I read it. We both really enjoyed it, well done!

12. Bety says:

I need, but in portugues!!

13. Alex says:

Finally bought your book. Wonderful read! Thank you!

14. Shannon says:

The art teacher at my school (I am the music teacher) lent me his copy of Anya’s Ghost. I absolutely loved it. So lovely and spooky. My boyfriend snatched it away from me and read it, as well. I, sadly, had to return it, but will be getting my own copy so that I can thumb through it whenever I get the urge.

This was my first foray into graphic novels and I am completely charmed. So much so that I posted a review on my book blog.

Please write some more!