wolves

I posted the minicomic I made last year in its entirety, since I ran out of the printed version and figured a year was long enough to wait.  A grim story about a girl raised by wolves. Contains sadness and violence and stuff so maybe don’t read it with your four-year-old. Check it out here.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to wolves

1. Allan Lorde says:

I read it over twice. So dark and bittersweet. Kudos, Vera! This is really, really good.

2. Khaila says:

I love that it’s ironic that she was probably viewed as uncivilized being with the wolves when we see how disgusting we really are as humans! I also love how you didn’t even need words to tell a story! This is awesome!

3. andrés says:

incredible. I love it!

4. Vanessa says:

Totally awesome! I love your style and the simplicity you use to convey a story. It definitely shows that you’re a storyboard artist. ;)

5. Cons says:

That comic was really, really sad.

6. Matt says:

Why so good ahhh

7. Ubin says:

I wholly enjoy works that compel me to go up and down and up and down again to reread panels. Thank you~

8. Gregg says:

Fantastic. I’m not often surprised by something that happens in a comic, but I was completely surprised by the middle of this one. Great shift in story focus without feeling manipulated. If you ever had a doubt whether to include any dialogue, I’m very glad you did not!

Touching throughout without compromising or pandering. And the wolf-girl’s return to what might have been was a wonderful way to comment on the things we lose during our childhood.

Great job.

9. Joanna says:

How can something so cute and funny be so sad and poignant, too? Exquisite work, you master of emotional manipulation you.

10. Tawnie says:

Really sweet and very well told. Thanks for the great story!

11. Alain says:

That was brilliant, original and expertly told. Thanks for sharing that little piece of gold.

12. Troy says:

This was a beautiful story, stumbled it and i had to come to your website to praise your work.

13. Eric says:

Thank you for this wonderful little story. Such a strange and unexpected find. :Eric

14. Pooja says:

such powerful storytelling! each panel was wonderfully drawn; thank you for sharing!

15. Steve Wilson says:

Thanks for sharing this. Just lovely.

16. skizzenblog says:

this is absolutely awsome!
    what a great reduced style and a wonderful kind of storytelling.
    i´m completely impressed.
    GREAT!

17. Emily says:

Absolutely amazing. Seeing how humans act, how some of us aren’t even as civilized as wolves… it breaks my heart, in a way.

18. Alice says:

This inspired me to write a sonata. First piece I have ever written inspired by the work of another person…

19. Tom says:

I really really liked this. Great story and good art work!

20. Todd says:

This is amazing. I really liked everything about it. Thank You.

21. Tucker says:

This touched me in a way I cannot even begin to express. Your concept is phenomenal and your execution is exquisite. My day has been made all the better having read this.

22. basso says:

Greetings from Finland. I stumbled to your piece of solid gold story of wolves….What an rollercoaster of emotions, would be great to see it as animated short story or such….
    Totally brilliant.

another man is other mans wolf, indeed.

23. ashlee says:

i was really surprised by this comic – both amused and saddened. fantastic work! :)

24. Dart says:

Wow. This is powerful. Thank you for this, and for rekindling my interest in storyboarding.

25. Martel says:

This was great in all ways a comic should be great.

To be honest, I almost regret reading it. The direction the story took was so sad in a raw and honest way, that it made me feel as if I was the girl, and I felt every disappointment and indignation she felt in every situation. It would have been cathartic, except there was no release.

I don’t know what to think or what to do with this feelings I was left with.

So, um, great job, I think! You’re probably doing something right if you’re making your audience feel and think like this.

26. guyha says:

absolutely wonderful! More, please! :)

27. lara says:

awesome…

28. shiny says:

My face went numb.

29. sf says:

that was one of the best comics i’ve ever read. thanks for sharing and thanks to kc green from gunshow for linking it!

30. Wonderful story, wonderful drawings. I really enjoyed it.

31. Amy Jubjub says:

I found it incredibly heartbreaking and sweet. One of the best comics I have ever read. Powerful and emotional, the boy in the beginning and the young innocent bond he and the wolf girl shared was amazing. Thank you for opening my mind :)

32. Louie says:

You…well…you’re awesome. Thanks for this.

33. chuck says:

I cried a little. Not a good thing to do at work.

34. dan says:

It was Lovely. I enjoy seeing the world of a some what untainted individual. Im not going to say that civilized man is just as rabid as the wolf (be kinda cheesy and on the nose), but I enjoyed seeing the contrast.

35. irene says:

i love it. great story. *sniff*

36. GabZero says:

I saw this comic at 9gag, and followed the link here just to comment this awesome work. Even I don’t know the exact words that can describe what I feel, here I am. Amazing, touching, and carry a big truth with it. Contratulations for this fantastic work.

I wish I could stay in the woods as well.

37. Wyatt says:

Now, I am sad.

just stumbled upon this… it takes me to the weirdest places sometimes.

I like the site and the drawings they are very effective communicators.

gonna go look a kittens and puppies till I feel better

38. rob says:

loved it. beautifully executed on all levels. great stuff

39. RedOne says:

I cried after reading it. Is darck and realistic, but at the end the love showed me that no matter what where is the love is your home…. unfortunately in the actual society the love has been lost, for that reason recently I feel like no matter what that I can´t feel (i see the irony in there so don´t annoy about it). This made me feel something between happiness and sadness.

I think that I fell in love from her and the story. <=´)

40. Poke says:

Incredible… This actually made me cry…

So sad… But true…

Please make more comics like this one… I loved it and want more…

PS. 9gag brought me here…

41. JOZE says:

Hi, I like very much your art. This comic is very strange, sweet and dark, congratulations since Chile!

42. Alfia says:

This is a very touching story. I can (almost) relate! All the best to you.

43. Eru Pan says:

You made me think. We are not better than the animals that we’ve been killing for food. I feel so weak looking at your comic. I know it is bad. But I can not do a thing.
    The last frame really made me cry. We ourselves crashed all the years developing from animals to human…

44. hglf says:

Ouch, an invisible-fist-comic

Stumble took me here.

One day, I must draw my stories too.

Saludos desde Perú

45. Jackie says:

I found this on stumble. Such a beautiful cartoon, I love it!

46. Hello! I’m from Brazil and here’s kinda of the same thing… I just LOVED the way you express all your insatisfaction with people’s nonsense and their irrational wildness. And loved the way you draw… You’re such AMAZING!

May I post it on my blog “I think therefore I draw”

47. Terri S. says:

I love this so much. The artwork and story progression is very high quality. But I don’t really understand the ending? Could you explain?

48. Pivs says:

Me ha encantado!!

49. Dante says:

Wow, this was an amazing read. It was powerful, and I found it to be moving and quite the eye-opener. Keep up the fantastic work!